Motion Controls Robotics has developed a variety of robot systems for the roofing industry. Some applications that can be automated include:
- Palletizing rolls of roofing material
- Removing rolls from slitting operations
- Stretch or heat shrink wrapping finished pallets
- Palletizing bundles of shingles
- Case packing rolls of roofing repair tape
- Palletizing containers of roof sealant/coating
Example One: Rolled Roof Sheeting – Full Roll Palletizing
Robot – FANUC M410/140
- In this palletizing cell a roll shaper spins the roll from a slightly flattened material back into a cylinder shape.
- Then the up-ender, using a vision process to orient the product labels, lifts so the rolls are in a vertical position.
- The robot uses a pair of inflatable mandrels on its end of arm tooling to pick the two rolls.
- The rolls are moved to one of three palletizing locations based on product type and placed vertically on the pallet.
- The conveyor moves the full pallets out of the cell with precision so no rolls tip.
Example Two: Rolled Roof Sheeting – Slit Roll Palletizing
Robot – 2 FANUC R2000
- In this palletizing cell one robot moves a pallet from the empty pallet delivery conveyor and places it on the palletizing conveyor adding a tier sheet.
- The full slit roll mandrel turns into the robot cell, and the same robot slides the rolls off the mandrel onto the end of arm tool of the second robot.
- This robot then rotates the roll and either palletizes the roll or sets it on an outfeed conveyor to be processed in another area.
- This process is repeated until the pallet is full. The first robot adding a new tier sheet for each level, and the mandrel turning when empty.
Manufacturers of these products definitely need to use innovations and technologies to keep their manufacturing processes efficient. Using a FANUC robot system to automate processes means:
- More quality
- More employee safety
- More productivity
Roofing material is something that everyone who, is building, or has a home needs. As Entertainment Promoter, Sol Hurok, once said,
“The sky’s the limit if you have a roof over your head.”
If you are interested in learning more about these type of applications use our robot system request form.